Friday 12 January 2018

Twofer Unplucked

Hello.  Welcome.  The delightful Darnell of NBUS fame has started a brand new challenge - Twofers!!  Darnell says

I created this challenge for several reasons:
  • Although I try to make more than one card with a design, I fail at this miserably and just want to start a new design immediately.
  • Although I resolve to make Christmas cards throughout the year, I fail at this miserably.
  • I'm constantly in need of cards for my stash for all occasions.
  • I need something intellectually and creatively challenging to keep the gray cells from being bored and my mojo juices flowing
Well, yes, to all that.  So here we go, first challenge feathers, and Darnell says it's allowed to leave em on the bird.  Thank mojo for that. Well, I say bird..........




For my two cards I used this bird person from Paperartsy Eclectic 5 set (NBUS).
Card 1 - Birthday.  Card 2 - Thinking of You
Joining the fun at Twofer Card Challenge #1


Just so you know, this one took ages and went through many metamophosii.  It all started with me wanting to put this birdish stamp on an ATC and then fubar-ing the cut.  Hmmm, interesting shape that.  (I am starting to think my best designs start with a happy accident)  Scrappelyst have a black and yellow prompt so this seemed like the perfect candidate.  Also, I rarely use yellow, and I am really into brights at the moment.  I knew I wanted to use this sentiment from Carmen's Veranda (NBUS) with this image and the 'you're screwed' inspired a desire for grunge.  I applied black archival to the side of my hand and made some arty smudges.  Then I added the stamped and embossed panel and stamped the sentiment.

Card 1 joining the fun at
bird and sentiment stamps are new
Penny Black and More Challenge - Something New


Since card 1 was colour scheme inspired I decided this one would be too.  The Mod Squad challenge want black, white and kraft and the Twofer rules say different style, so I went CAS.  I stamped the bird stamp on kraft card, embossed with black powder and cut out the bird.  I mounted it on a black card base and stamped and embossed the Hero's Art sentiment with white powder.  Just so you know, this one was pretty quick.  

Card 2 joining the fun at
Mod Squad Challenge - Colour Throwdown
Country View Challenges January 2018 - Anything Goes

Thanks for dropping by.  Hugz


17 comments:

Christine said...

Love the yellow.... and a smudge of the hand?!!
Such contrasting cards.
Really different and great cards.

Dotty Jo said...

Delighted you got naughty with us at Naughty or Nice! Love the colours and images you've used... And of course, I love the sentiment! Jo x

brenda said...

A really striking creation in those lovely zesty colours, many thanks for joining our 'Something New' theme at Penny Black and More again.

B x

Kay Wallace said...

Two widely different cards using the same stamp and colors! Genius, I say!

Christine Alexander said...

Stunning, love the quirky stamps and great colours. both cards just pop off the the page :)

Kara Lynne said...

Your cards are both fantastic! That quirky bird-person and grungy hand smudges really fit the feel of your sentiment, and your CAS card is a black beauty! Thanks so much for joining in on the fun over at Twofer Card Challenge!

Anita in France said...

Hahaha ... I laughed out loud at that first sentiment, Gail ... it's brilliant ... and so perfect with that quirky image! Very cool, stylish and chic second take with crisp white sentiment and black on black CAS look! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

Verna Angerhofer said...

Awesome cards and that first one just about cracked me up. So funny with that sentiment.

Darnell said...

Ho Ho Ho, don't I know it! Wait'll you get to be my age! Maybe I should grow a headdress and wear yellow and keep my hands all smudged in black! Well, yes, I just might! Love both creations, Gail! Thank you for catching that I was hoping people would streeeeetch their design skills by creating different card designs as well as for different occasions! And thank you for your lovely words of welcome to my new little adventure!! Hugs, Darnell

Judy Woodland said...

Such a unique card and so creative. Great take on the challenge! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at The Mod Squad, hope to see you back again soon!
Judy~ Mod Squad Challenge Designer and Challenge Host
{Judy's Happy Place} Stop by and see me!

Lindsey said...

Wow, that yellow on your first card is so eye-popping! I love it! I'm thinking if you used Archival for your hand-smudging, there'll be evidence of that for a while. ;) Love how dramatic the second card is. Thanks for joining us at Naughty or Nice Challenges!

Teresa said...

Thanks so much for joining in with the challenge this month at Country View Challenges - good luck and hope to see you again. Teresa DT

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

Great card! I love that sentiment!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Naughty or Nice Challenge! Cyndi, DT

Cat Craig said...

Gail, I was so happy to see you in the gallery at Darnell's new challenge. I laughed out loud at your sentiment on the yellow card. Both cards are dramatic and yet so different. I think you embraced the challenge quite well!

susiestacey said...

Two great cards, love the stamp and the snetiment on the first is fThank you for sharing at Penny Black & More 'Something New' challenge and good luck x Susan xantastic - made me laugh.

crafty-stamper said...

Both very quirky CAS cards love the stamp and zingy yellow plus the grunge---Thank you for joining us at Love To Scrap
Carol DT x

Eulanda said...

LROL! Oh wow love the sentiment!! hee hee Made me laugh out loud! Thank you so much for joining our January challenge at Noor! Design UK of "Anything Goes". Hopefully you make it back for February's! Hugs!